Clayhaus & Kiln Ceramic Tile Installation Guide
These instructions will serve as a guideline for the installation of our Kiln and Clayhaus Mosaic Ceramic Tile.
*We strongly recommend hiring a professional tile installer to install our ceramic tile. You are making an investment in our handcrafted artisan tile- please don’t let a faulty install ruin it.
It is important that you inspect your entire order to ensure that it is acceptable before installation.
If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your order please contact us WITHIN THREE DAYS of delivery at 877-439-9734 or email@example.com
*Please keep in mind that some variation in size, shape and color is inherent with handcrafted artisan tile. These characteristics contribute to the beauty and unique quality of our products and are not considered flaws.
Installation Constitutes Acceptance.
Preparing the existing surface is the most critical task of any tile installation. The tile must be placed on a rigid, level, plumb and structurally sound surface to avoid problems. The surface should be clean, dry and free of contaminants that could prevent a good bond.
The recommended substrate is a cement backer board such as HardieBacker. Gypsum board may also be acceptable for interior dry installations only.
Installations should be mocked-up prior to beginning tiling. This will show how the tile will fit the space, how to avoid uneven cuts at the row’s end and inform you of the appropriate grout width.
Use a mastic or a thin-set to install modwalls® ceramic tiles.
Rubber Grout Float, Large Bucket, 3/16” V Notched Trowel, Sponge, Lint Free Cloth and a Wet Saw with a Diamond Blade appropriate for ceramic tile.
- Apply adhesive to wall evenly with the v-notched trowel. Work in sections of approximately 2 square feet at a time.
- Apply tile to wall starting in the middle of installation area and work outward.
- Before grouting, allow the adhesive to dry for the timeframe recommended by the manufacturer. Thin-set, for example, will cure/dry in 24-48 hours.
*Tip: Don’t be alarmed if the installation does not look perfect before grout is applied- one of the purposes of grout is to hide imperfection in the install. Recommended grout thickness is 3/16”. A thinner grout line may be possible but 1/8” is a minimum. Please contact modwalls® if you have questions.
- Let grout dry 10-20 minutes. Using a slightly damp sponge, wipe diagonally across the tile to remove the grout film from the surface of the tile.
- Wipe tile with a lint-free cloth as the final step, buffing away all residual grout from the surface of the tile.
*Note:When installing our ceramics that have matte glazes, we recommend not using a high contrast grout color as it may highlight any minor imperfections which are inherent in hand made ceramic tile. If you do choose a contrasting grout color, we recommend that your professional installer pre-seal the tiles with a ceramic tile sealer before grouting to avoid staining. The sealer and grout should be tested on a sample tile before application on the entire installation.
Beware of Grout Haze:
Grout haze is a very thin layer of grout which has been allowed to dry on the surface of the tile. During installation the grout must be completely wiped from the tile surface and then the tops of the tiles buffed with a soft cloth to remove any residual grout film. Once the grout dries overnight there is little that can be done to remove grout haze, aside from washing the tile with one of the commercial acid grout haze removers.
Cutting/Drilling modwalls® Ceramic Tiles:
- The recommended cutting method is by wet saw with a new diamond blade designed specifically for cutting ceramic tile.
- Make cuts onto the back side of the tiles.
- If tiles have mesh backing, make sure to remove mesh from cutting path before cutting tiles, as cutting with the mesh attached can result in damaged tile!
- Edges which have been cut should be smoothed with diamond hand pad or another similar smoothing tool.
- If it is necessary to drill holes in the tile we recommend doing so with a low speed drill equipped with a diamond tipped core bit BEFORE installation. Water must be sprayed on the surface and drill bit continuously during drilling.
Cleaning modwalls® Ceramic Tile:
- A damp sponge is typically sufficient to keep this tile clean.
- Non abrasive, ph-neutral cleaners can also be used effectively.