CorkDotz Cork Tile Installation Guide
It is important that you inspect your entire order to ensure that it is acceptable before installation. If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your order please contact us WITHIN THREE DAYS of delivery at 877-439-9734 or email@example.com.Installation Constitutes Acceptance.
modwalls® CorkDotz™ tile is suitable for both interior and exterior wall and floor applications in both wet and dry areas.
Preparing the existing surface is the most critical task of any tile installation. The tile must be placed on a rigid, level, plumb and structurally sound surface to avoid problems. The surface should be clean, dry and free of contaminants that could prevent a good bond.
The recommended substrate is a cement backer board such as HardieBacker. Gypsum board may also be acceptable for interior dry installations only.
There are different “levels” of acceptable adhesives depending on where you would like to install the tile.
- If you install modwalls® CorkDotz™ on a dry wall, you can use rubber cement for your adhesive
- If you install modwalls® CorkDotz™ on a dry floor, you should use a stronger adhesive, like a mastic
- If you install modwalls® CorkDotz™ on a wet floor, you should use a modified latex thin set for adhesion
The necessary tools for tiling are: Rubber Trowel, Roller or Sponge, Adhesive, Sanded Grout, Polyurethane, Utility Knife.
Remove the tile from its packaging and let it acclimate to the room you are installing it in. It should acclimate for 48 hours before installation.
Evenly apply appropriate adhesive over the prepared cement substrate.
Carefully lay out and place each sheet of modwalls® CorkDotz™ next to one another on the adhesive. Each sheet can easily be cut and shaped with a utility knife. Before grouting, allow the adhesive to dry for the timeframe recommended by the manufacturer. Thin-set, for example, will cure/dry in 24-48 hours.
Evenly distribute a sanded grout with a high quality rubber trowel, making certain that all joints are completely filled. The finished joints should be uniformly smooth without any voids, pinholes or low spots.
Finish the installation of modwalls® CorkDotz™ by applying an even amount of polyurethane or miniwax with a roller or sponge.
Beware of Grout Haze:
- • You can cut CorkDotz™ with a utility knife. Use a metal edge to ensure a straight cut.
- • Any wood drill will be sufficient to drill through modwalls® CorkDotz™ tile.
- • A damp sponge or mop is typically sufficient to keep this tile clean.
- • Non abrasive glass cleaners can also be used effectively.