Basis and Rex Ray Ceramic Tile Installation Guide
Modwalls Basis & Rex Ray Tile Series
These instructions will serve as a guideline for the installation of our Basis and Rex Ray Ceramic tiles. We advise you to hire a licensed professional tile installer who is experienced with the installation of ceramic tile.
It is important that you inspect your entire order to ensure that it is acceptable before installation. If for any reason you are dissatisfied with your order please contact us WITHIN THREE DAYS of delivery at 877-439-9734 or email@example.com
--- INSTALLATION CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE ---
- Tile Adhesive
- Grout release agent
- Rubber grout float
- Large bucket
- 3/16” V-Notched trowel
- Lint free cloth
- Wet saw with a diamond blade for ceramic tile
- Tile-cutting hand tools
- Plastic spacers
- Safety glasses & gloves
The following is a brief description of the products and steps required for a ceramic tile installation. See the REFERENCES section for links to detailed installation instructions and videos.
- Preparing the existing surface is the most critical task of any tile installation. The tile must be placed on a rigid, level, plumb and structurally sound surface to avoid problems. The surface should be clean, dry and free of contaminants that could prevent a good bond.
- Wet areas require the installation of a waterproofing membrane meeting ANSI 118.10 requirements.
- The recommended substrate is a cement backer board such as HardieBacker. Gypsum board may also be acceptable for interior dry installations only.
- The recommended cutting method is by wet saw with a new diamond blade designed specifically for cutting ceramic tile. Alternately, a snap tile cutter may be used. The tile may also be drilled using a power drill at low speed with a water swivel attachment, and a 3/8” diamond drill bit meant for ceramic.
- Before setting, layout all materials to determine the best use of materials for the installation.
- Use mastic or thin-set to install ceramic tiles. Apply adhesive with the flat side of the trowel and then rake with the notched edge at a 45 degree angle. Apply tiles to the surface, working in sections of approximately 2 square feet at a time.
- For loose tile installation, use plastic spacers to create even grout lines. Remove spacers after 20 to 30 minutes, when adhesive has begun to set. The minimum recommend grout width is 1/8”.
- Once tiles are installed, allow adhesive to set for 24 hours or as the manufacturer recommends before grouting.
- Apply grout and let dry 10-20 minutes. Using a slightly damp sponge, wipe diagonally across the tile to remove the grout film from the surface of the tile.
- Wipe tile with a lint-free cloth as the final step, buffing away all residual grout from the surface of the tile.
- Grout haze is a very thin layer of grout which has been allowed to dry on the surface of the tile. During installation the grout must be completely wiped from the tile surface and then the tops of the tiles buffed with a soft cloth to remove any residual grout film. Once the grout dries overnight there is little that can be done to remove grout haze, aside from washing the tile with a commercial acid grout haze remover.
Modwalls shall not have any responsibility for damage to property or personal injury resulting from or related to the installation process. You have determined the appropriate product and measurements for your needs. Please read all instructions with care before beginning installation. These instructions are considered a guide, and should not be considered complete. Modwalls recommends consulting with an experienced installer to determine the best installation procedure for your project. You assume all risks of loss or damage in connection with the installation and use of these ceramic tiles.